While measuring lines of code does not provide a completely accurate picture of the impact on the ROI, it does provide a general idea of the power of using the tools correctly.
Besides the obvious advantage of massive code generation, our client also received the following advantages:
- Framework reuse in subsequent projects which amounts to about 10% of the code.
- Consistent interface code from ICD was also generated to UAV and Ground Station developers, eliminating discrepancies and reducing integration time.
- Large parts of MIL-STD documents were generated from the tools. Sections of the SRS & IDD & SDD documents from the ICD, the FDM and the Junction Tools, and STD/STR documents from the Test Manager.
- Simulators were generated while development was carried out allowing each feature to be tested as it was developed reducing development and testing time.
- Automatic functional and regression testing were implemented reducing time and increasing testing thoroughness.
- Test scenarios were reused in subsequent VSM projects.
Using all of these tools allowed us to cut the development time considerably to about 1/3 of the conventional estimated development time.